Thursday, July 10, 2014

Building excitement before the first day

The anticipation of a new school year can always bring some nerves and worries (for both teachers and students).... As my students new teacher, I find it my duty to change that anticipation from worried to excited and the yearning to get back into the classroom ASAP. This all starts with my welcome letter!

I like to tell my students that I've thought about them, that I can't wait to spend the year together, and that I have high expectations for our class. This makes them want to be in my class. It  makes them want to come to school. It makes them want to do their best. Here is my welcome letter from this past year....




I feel that this letter builds a sense of belonging, the feeling of confidence, and a certain camaraderie in our room that general welcome letters don't  accomplish. Every child that walked into my room this afternoon during Meet the Teacher gave me the biggest hug with a ginormous smile on their face. Not one said that were not excited to start the school year, and that, to me, is one of the very best feelings in the world & one of the most important things I can do for my students.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you put the "super creative geniuses" part in there! I can see my kiddos eating that up. Have you seen the Ted Talk where the lady says she told her classes each year that they were the best and brightest students and she was the best teacher and they were all put in the same class so that they could show the other kids "how it's done" and that when they walk down the hall they have to be proud and "strut". Gets me every time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFnMTHhKdkw&feature=kp

    ReplyDelete