Tuesday, February 24, 2015

My Teacher Hero

I love Teachers!

Not cause I am one...

But because there are so many that have inspired and continue to inspire me to be the educator I am!

Today, some teachers are linking up with Jenny from LuckyFrog's Lilypad to share their teacher heroes with you!

I'm going to tell you about one of mine.




Unlike most people, I didn't know I wanted to be a teacher all my life.  I don't even remember much of elementary school, sadly. I even decided to go to school to become a Veterinarian.  Then I changed to study Music, and lastly, changed to education.  When I think about teachers who inspired me to make that last decision, there one particular one that comes to mind (who was actually the inspiration for wants to do something in music as well!).

His name is Mr. Craner.  

When I was in the 4th grade, I joined my elementary schools band.  I had just moved there and thought it would be fun, plus a good way to make friends!  I was just an average musician.  I played for fun, I enjoyed it.  

In Jr high, my band conductor was diagnosed with cancer.  After I think 2 years having her on and off, my high school hired a new director (I was now in 9th grade).  I thought Mr. Craner was CRAZY.  The music that he gave me to play - I wondered how the heck he ever thought I was going to be able to play it. I gave him the "you are crazy" looks- (I'm pretty sure he would confirm this haha!)  Even though I gave him those crazy looks and had no faith in myself- Mr. Craner had faith in me.  

He worked with me, practiced with me, pushed me.  Before I knew it, My grade of 85 (because I was not so good about making it to lessons) had changed to a 100. I went from 2nd flute, last chair to 1st flute 2nd chair - and eventually first chair. I even started playing Piccolo too!  But I didn't stop there.  I soooo badly wanted to play in the Jazz Ensemble that Mr. Craner started at my high school.  So he loaned me the schools Bari Sax and he taught me how to play.  I made the Jazz Ensemble which I played in for 2 of the best years of highschool!  My last year of high school, I was even in Mr. Craner's music theory class. My friends and I, we spent every possible moment we could in the music room. If I wasn't playing field hockey, you knew exactly where to look. It wasn't just a place for music.  It was a place for studying, for laughing, for popping popcorn, for learning, for taking risks, for being comfortable - it was a place that I felt I belonged - and Mr. Craner created that for me.

I want to create this same learning environment for my students.  If it wasn't for Mr. Craner, I might not even know what that learning environment looks like, feels like.  But, I do...and I can think about that to help me create a welcoming classroom that my students *beg* to be in everyday...and for that, I am thankful.


To say "Thanks" to teachers for being Heroes everyday, TPT is having a sale this Wednesday-Thursday!  My store is 20% off and you can get an extra 10% off by putting in the code "heroes".  Thanks for being a hero for kids everyday!


3 comments:

  1. I'm a former band kid myself, and there is NOTHING like the comfort of the band room! I spent so much time there- and it's where I spent time with my band "family." A teacher who can foster that... well, it's a big deal. I love that that's where your inspiration comes from! :) Thanks for linking up!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a former band kid, too! I love the connection you were able to form with Mr. Craner and especially how he challenged you to reach your full potential as a musician. Sometimes it takes a person believing in us more than we believe in ourselves to show us what we are truly capable of accomplishing!
    Beth
    Adventures of a Schoolmarm

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete