Saturday, April 12, 2014

2 IPads...20 Students? No Problem!

Welcome to the 3rd monthly Bright Idea's blog hop hosted by the Fabulous, Shelley Gray.  The best place in the blog-o-sphere to hop through and snag 150 Bright ideas for your classroom (& sometimes your sanity).


Let me just start off by saying that this is NOT the cutest bright idea on the planet.  But ya know- we can't be fabulously cute ALL the time! It's just so exhausting. ;)  Sometimes, we just need practical, and we need it now.

I recently got 2 IPads funded through Donors Choose for my classroom (Insert a big Wahoo- so fun!)  I could not wait to get my 2nd graders hands on these.  I loaded them with tons of apps, got them all charged up, got to school the day after intersession and thought.. "Uhhh, how in the world am I going to rotate these 2 IPads around to my 20 kids?"  In comes my 30 seconds number list with a magnet, numbers on IPads, and voila- my IPad rotation chart.

Cute, right? ;)

Each IPad is designated to 10 students.  If the magnet is next to their name, it's their turn on the IPad.  They set the timer for 15 minutes if they are not reading on RAZ kids - and after that 15 minutes is up, they simply close out, move the magnet to the next student, and pass it on.  I have a list of apps that students can use when they don't have something specific I've asked them to do on them : RAZ kids, Kidblog, DreamBox Math, and a few others.  So far, this plan has allowed me zero IPad headache! Yay! I Love Technology- it makes my life & classroom complete (unless it's not working- then I want to karate chop it in it's processor ;) )

If you liked this Bright Idea, consider following me on Facebook, Twitter, or TPT

For more Bright Ideas from 150 absolutely fabulous, creative, amazing teachers & bloggers, take a look-sie at the link up below and choose a topic that interests you!

Happy Saturday!  


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I was lucky enough to get a grant for 10 iPads but I have 16 students this year. I definitely plan to work out a system to manage who gets the iPads and when. Your idea is a great way to do that!

    Jasmine
    Buzzing With Mrs. McClain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I am hoping to get a few iPads soon and was wondering how others set up their rotation systems. :) Thanks for sharing.
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete