Monday, January 12, 2015

Don't Bite the Hook!

My students this year are HUGE tattlers & teasers...Anyone else?  I mean, they are 7 & 8 so I expect it- but boy I didn't expect this much.  We've spent a lot of time this year talking about respect-  but ya know- sometimes you just gotta tell em to ignore the annoying behaviors.  When our school counselor suggested the book Simon's Hook - I was so excited! She even came in to read it and did a lesson with them.  Have you ever read it?


This is definitely a book you need to add to your teacher collection.  It's about Simon, who is having a bad hair day and his friends tease him.   When he goes to his grandma, she teaches him how to deal with these teases and put downs by telling the story of a fish who learned not to bite the fisherman's hook!


After listening to the story, we sorted "Hooked" and "Free" fish responses to the tease"You're a Little Shrimp!"  



Last, we though about some thing that our friends might say to tease us.   They decided on "You're bad at math!" and "I'm stronger than you!" They then set off with a partner to come up with a FREE FISH response to either of these teases/put downs!...

"Yea, I am!"
 
"Maybe."

"Hey, what's that over there?"

"I'm just going to go play!"

Now, whenever someone comes to tattle, I remind them.. "How can you be a FREE fish?"  It works almost every time! Now I call that winning!

2 comments:

  1. your link for the book goes to a wedding venue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete